Homebrew is a nifty little indie tool indeed that allows 3DS users to do the following:
- Play Aperture Science 3D, a free adaptation of Portal for the 3DS
- Make your own themes to use in home menu.
- Play out-of-region games you own.
- Play old SNES games with blargSNES.
Homebrew can be installed with either Youtube, Iron fall or Cubic Ninja (plus a bit of patience).
Below are the basics on what you will need to do for each respective application.
In order to install tubehax, you will need a console whose firmware version is between 9.0 and 9.9, as well as the YouTube application (available for free on eShop) and an internet connection.
1. First go down to the “preparing your SD card” section and follow those steps, then come back. Don’t worry, we’ll wait for you
NOTE : the following steps might be slightly confusing to some people. If you find you’re not sure what the steps are referring to, please just head over to the Youtube video showing them being executed here
- On your 3DS, open the System Settings app, then go to Internet Settings and Connection Settings. From there, select your favorite Connection, tap the Change Settings button, and on the second page head over to the DNS section. Once there, select “No” for “Auto-obtain DNS”, and under Detailed Setup, enter the following address : 107.211.140.065.
- Save these new settings and close the System Settings app.
- Open the YouTube app. It should redirect you to a firmware selection page.
- Under “Select your firmware version”, choose your console’s firmware version. Getting this right is very important ! Once you’re sure you did it right, hit the Submit button.
- Wait for a few seconds. If you did all the previous steps right, the exploit should run and the Homebrew Launcher should load up
Much like tubehax, ironhax requires that your console be on a firmware version between 9.0 and 9.9, and that you have IronFall (previously available for free on the eShop) installed on it. Unlike tubehax and ninjhax however, IronFall is not “self-sufficient” : you will need either tubehax or ninjhax to perform the initial ironhax install. The advantage of ironhax is that unlike tubehax, it only requires an internet connection the first time; after that, you’ll be free to use it untethered !
1. First go down to the “preparing your SD card” section and follow those steps, then come back. Don’t worry, we’ll wait for you !
NOTE: the following steps might be slightly confusing to some people. If you find you’re not sure what the steps are referring to, please just head over to the Youtube video showing them being executed here. Setup an initial way to run homebrew on your system, such as tubehax or ninjhax. If you installed ninjhax a while ago, please uninstall it and reinstall it ! Your version might be outdated; installing ironhax requires ninjhax 2.1 or more recent.
- Download the ironhax installer. If you downloaded the Homebrew Starter Kit below, you should already have it !
- Run the ironhax installer and follow the instructions on screen. Make sure your 3DS is connected to the internet for the install !
- Reboot your 3DS and open IronFall. Select the save slot that says “ironhax” and press A. The Homebrew Launcher will start.
The method for a Cubic Ninja installation can be found here.
For more detailed info on Homebrew, check out the website.