While the whispers of The Last of Us Part II Remastered have been doing the rounds for a while, its existence has now been confirmed with the game’s trailer leaking, revealing that it will launch on PS5 on January 19, 2024.
The leak is sure to have ruffled the feathers of PlayStation and Naughty Dog, and most likely Geoff Keighley, who no doubt will have the trailer pencilled in for his Game Awards show on December 8, 2023. The news was first reported by reputable PlayStation database dataminer PlayStation Game Size, who posted on social media that the game had been added to PlayStation’s database and was indeed a native PS5 version.
PS5 = PS5 Native Version
— PlayStation Game Size (@PlaystationSize) November 17, 2023
The news was then confirmed by Insider Gaming, who obtained access to the game’s trailer and product description, which reveals the PS5 version will ship with a new roguelike survival mode, developer commentary and early-development versions of levels not seen in the orignal.
Native PS5 enhancements
Built for the PS5 console, The Last of Us Part II Remastered enhances the original PS4 game in ways not possible before, including:
• A host of graphical improvements bring the beautiful-yet-dangerous world to life.
• Visual performance now outputs at 4K in Fidelity Mode.
• Improved loading times more quickly let you jump into action.
• Full DualSense™ wireless controller integration.
No Return – A Roguelike Survival Mode
Experience The Last of Us Part II’s deep combat via an entirely new mode! Survive as long as you can in each run, as you choose your path through a series of randomized encounters. Play as a host of different unlockable characters, some never-before playable in The Last of Us franchise, each with unique gameplay traits. The variety of challenges feature different foes and memorable locations from throughout Part II, all culminating in tense boss battles.
New ways to play
Delve deeper into this beloved adventure and learn how the original game was created.
• Lost Levels lets you explore early-development versions of three new levels not seen in the original.
• Enjoy hours of new developer commentary to hear insights into Part II’s development as you experience the game.
• Live up to your musical potential with Guitar Free Play, which includes new unlockable instruments, or take on the new Speedrun Mode* and post your best times.
• Descriptive Audio** and Speech to Vibrations have also been added to Part II’s suite of accessibility features.
• The Last of Us Part II Remastered also features brand new unlockable character and weapon skins for players to use for both Ellie and Abby.
Given the success Naughty Dog and PlayStation have found with both The Last of Us Part I Remaster and HBO’s The Last of Us, which is gearing up for a second season, it makes sense that Part II would get a glow-up in preparation of the second season.
Will you be playing The Last of Us Part II Remasterd? Let us know in the comments or on social media.