That was a big one. As mentioned yesterday, no NX or Pokemon news came out of this. But we may have gotten some even better things.
Star Fox Guard
Another new Star Fox game? Living the dream. Star Fox Guard is pretty much a tower defense game for the Wii U, where you play as Slippy and his uncle Grippy. We don’t know much about the game just yet, but we do have two important details: The release date is 22nd of April, the day after the release of Star Fox Zero, and it’ll be bundled with the physical version of the game.
Kirby: Planet Robobot
A new Kirby game is on the horizon for the 3DS as well. It’s the same old Kirby you know and love, but the most major change is Kirby’s ability to pilot mechs that he steals from the enemy. Planet Robobot will also feature new multiplayer modes as well, which all look like they’ll be lots of fun. The game will release on June 10th.
Monster Hunter Generations
Known as Monster Hunter X in Japan, Generations is the latest 3DS game in the popular RPG series. If you’ve never played the game before, it’s a bombastic game about hunting monsters. Who woulda thunk, right? If you have Monster Hunter 4 for the same system, you can transfer your save files across to unlock sweet loot and keep your character. Don’t have 4? It’s on sale on the Nintendo eShop right now!
SNES games are coming to the “New” 3DS…and only the “New” 3DS.
The Super Nintendo Entertainment System has some of the best games ever made proudly perched at the top of its library, and they’re now being released on the 3DS via the Virtual Console! The catch? They’re only playable on the “New” version of the system that released about a year ago. This isn’t some happy merchanting from Nintendo, however: The 3DS simply didn’t have the power to emulate the SNES, but the “New” model does. I highly recommend the newer model anyway: It’s much sturdier and plays your regular 3DS games more smoothly as well. Virtual Console versions of Super Mario World, F-Zero and Pilotwings are being released today, and will boast the system’s original aspect ratio. In the next few weeks, we’ll also be getting Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2), Super Mario Kart, Earthbound, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid. You like catches? Here’s another one! Each game will cost 7.99USD, and there’s no discount for those who already own any of these games on the Wii U.
And the rest!
- Splatoon is getting two more (free) updates, one balance and matchmaking patch and one item combination improvement patch.
- Super Mario Maker will be getting an update on the 9th of March that’ll add new items and a Super-Expert mode to the 100-Mario Challenge.
- Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem is now called Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, and will launch in North America on June 24th. The game’s dialogue will be in Japanese, with English text.
- Paper Mario: Color Splash was announced, and will launch on the Wii U later in the year.
- Lost Reavers is a game from Bandai Namco that has players fighting zombies and solving puzzles in a multiplayer setting. The game has an open beta that begins on April 14th before the game fully launches for the Wii U on the 28th.
- Pocket Card Jockey is the latest game from Pokemon developers Game Freak, and is essentially Solitare if it involved more horsing around. It comes out for the 3DS in May.
- Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 was announced and is a sequel to the popular sidescroller on the 3DS, and will be available on the eShop later in the year.
- We finally got a release date (March 25th) for the 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors, subtitled Legends, and the game will launch with four DLC packs. Purchase them all (although I’ll only be buying Linkle because she’s perfect aaaaaaaaaaaaaa) and you’ll get a fresh skin for Ganondorf.
- Bravely Second: End Layer, sequel to the best 3DS game of 2015, got a new trailer. A demo is scheduled for release on March 10th.
- Dragon Quest VII‘s 3DS port is coming to the west this year.
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force (the game that rustled the most jimmies last year) got a new trailer and a release window of Spring 2016.
- Rhythm Heaven: Megamix (fuck yes!) was unveiled and is coming out this year.