Cold, cold, Northrend. Home to Dragonblight, the dragon graveyard. The kingdom of Azjol-Nerub lurks underneath the icy ground, its endless knowledge forever preserved. To the North, however, lies the domain of the dreaded Lich King: Icecrown Citadel. This ghastly and evil place is where Hearthstone will set its next expansion…and your doom.
In our reality, the souless Lich King and his mighty armies were bested by the heroes of Azeroth. However, this card game proposes an alternative history: The victory of the King who was human once, and his undead Scourge. The paragons of justice and the Light have been slain. Garrosh and Gul’Dan were there too. But death is not the end for those who are slain by the Lich King. These slain heroes have been revived as Death Knights – the greatest undead warriors – and seek to destroy all life on Azeroth. But don’t despair, it’s only a game…
Following up from yesterday’s leaks, the next expansion to Hearthstone has been set in stone (giggle) as Knights of the Frozen Throne. The tale of the Lich King is a tragic one, but that’s another story for another time. And a wiki. As you may have guessed from my expertly-crafted and totally atmospheric drivel I wrote above, this expansion focuses on another what-if scenario in the Warcraft mythos: “everybody dies!”
The expansion releases next month, and will include:
- 135 new cards, which is the standard amount for an expansion. Some cards have been shown off alongside the reveal (which you can check out below), with more coming after the 24th of July.
- New types of cards! Knights will introduce two new cards to the game.
– The first is the Hero card, a Legendary card that replaces your hero with another. It’s worth nothing that Lord Jaraxxus and Majordomo Executus already do this sort of thing, but Hero cards come with a new Hero Power and a Battlecry.
– The second is Lifesteal cards. Those with this keyword will heal your hero for the damage they inflict. For example, if it dealt 3 damage your hero is healed for 3. Control decks are back, mothershuffler.
- An adventure! Well, not quite. After culling new Adventures from the game, it seems that the Hearthstone team have found a compromise. The expansion will roll out with some Missions that are almost identical to the Adventures we know and love. They’ll be free, and will come with rewards: A [free] random Death Knight Hero card, and Knights card packs! Just like previous single-player content, the missions will be based upon a World of Warcraft raid. Specifically, Icecrown Citadel from Wrath of the Lich King.
- Pre-ordering will net you a sick card back!
The first of the new Hero cards. The Hero Power allows you to Discover two different Beast cards and slap them together to make one ugly mother. It’s another attempt to make Control Hunter a reality…will it work this time?
Priests finally get their cheap board clear. As a Priest main, this feels goooooooooood~
Deathrattle decks just got a whole lot more fun.
Charge AND Lifesteal? Woop woop!
The expansion’s new game board.
This Frostmourne card back can be yours through a pre-order.