Following the recent announcement in February’s Nintendo Direct, Masahiro Sakurai is giving us all the deets again on the latest DLC character for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. We’re back in Sakurai’s house for this one as COVID-19 cases are on the rise again in Japan when this was recorded, there is no one but Sakurai in the stream. Below is a recap of the stream:
- The Cloud Sea of Alrest stage is set on the back of Azurda, aka Gramps, who is the titan you often travel on in XC2. Various titans will fly behind the stage including: The Argentum trade guild and Maelstrom, Gormott, Uraya, Mor Ardain, Tantal and Indol. Gramps will turn his head as titans fly past, changing the size of the stage, plus his head moves which affects the stage. Driver and blade pairs will show up in the background of the stage will show up as well.
- Based on the difficulty with making a character like Ice Climbers Sakurai decided that Rex and Pyra with their level of detail would have been too much, but Pyra/Mythra was do-able as its a ‘single’ character rather than a true pair. Use the down special to change between Pyra and Mythra at any time.
- Pyra specialises in power, while Mythra specialises in speed. The speed difference is really apparent in just moving but also jumping. Pyra’s side special damage is really powerful. Standard attacks are similar between the two, just speed and power changes. You won’t be at a disadvantage if you don’t change characters.
- There are six special moves based on moves from the game. Down special is reserved changing character. For Pyra there is Flame Nova (neutral), Blazing End (side special) and Prominence Revolt (up special). Mythra has Lightning Buster (neutral), Photon Edge (side special) and Ray of Punishment/Chroma Dust (up special). When you swap characters it is very quick and there is a brief period of invincibility.
- Burning Sword is Pyra’s Final Smash and Mythra’s is Sacred Arrow. Burning Sword is for KO’ing, Sacred Arrow is more for dealing damage. Rex appears in both Final Smashes, briefly at the beginning of a fight and the victory screen.
- Kirby’s copy ability depends on who he inhales. His copy ability versions are also stronger than the original attacks, not many people know this about Kirby.
- There are 16 new tracks being added from the Xenoblade Chronicle series, for a total of 27 from the games.
- There will also be a new Xenoblade Chronicles spirit board
- Mii Fighter Costumes: from Monster Hunter: Hunter Equipment (sword fighter), Rathalos Equipment (sword fighter) and Felyne (hat) and Authur (sword fighter) from Ghost and Goblins.
- Pyra/Mythra will release later today.
- Also apparently this was the first Smash reveal that Sakurai didn’t write the script for, MONOLITHSOFT took care of all of the CG and script for the Xenoblade part.
- Two more character reveals to go!
You can check out the presentation below if you missed it:
So what do you think of Pyra/Mythra as a fighter? Will you be downloading her later today? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Fighters Pass 1 and 2 are available now exclusively on Nintendo Switch.